First off PSA if you are participating in 2ptober final times are due Nov 2nd at 11:59pm PST.
Earlier this past week my friend mentioned that Saturday was opening day and that she might be able to find an extra horse so that I could go. I was so excited. I have always wanted to get out in the hunt field and as a total newbie I was nerding out at the prospect.
I was able to find my coat and stock tie and only had momentary panic that I had never worn my black field boots. No time like the present to break boots in.
Stephanie at Hand-Gallop posted about how to prepare for opening hunt and I can add a few items to the list:
- Don’t ride for the month leading up to it – crippled at 25yo the day after is worth it
- Realize you haven’t washed your coat since who knows when – no time now so you smell
- Don’t break in or even wear black field boots prior to wearing them for 3+ hours
- Forget both saddle and helmet at farm the night before
- Lay awake like the kids in disney commercials
My friend D’s daughter was out of town this weekend so I was able to catch a ride on him. This was only possible because the stars aligned and D was able to use one of her friends young horses.
I just have to say that this was one of the most fun rides I have been on and I can’t wait to go again. I am already trying to research local Nashville hunt clubs. I have literally no idea what joining would cost (any experienced people willing to share their knowledge?) but I am super interested!
So grateful and happy that I was able to participate in such a fun adventure! I would encourage anyone interested to try it out!