September last year I was on the hunt for a tack locker and settled on purchasing a Saddle Locker – specifically the Platinum Medium & Mini Tack Trunk . Despite the struggles to get it delivered in one piece I do love it and wanted to finally get a review up now that I have had it for a few months.
Price: $899 – This is a steep price point but this is one of few metal tack lockers available on the market. If I am spending over $500 on a trunk I don’t want it to be plastic.
Pros: Given the steep premium that you pay for these bad boys I had very high expectations. Luckily I was not disappointed and I love love love my locker. Not only is it secure and durable but it also allows me to keep all of the things that I need on a day to day basis in one location.
Benefits of this locker include:
- The locker comes apart and folds to be fairly easily transported and stays surprisingly clean – the hardest part about moving it is getting all of my things out (tack hoarders anonymous anyone…)
- It comes with 2 saddle racks, 2 bridle hooks, and 2 miscellaneous hooks
- Both the 51″ medium locker and the 30″ mini locker have a set of shelves which help on the organizing front
- There are many options in terms of size and finish which can provide a few different price points
- Both pieces lock which adds some peace of mind if you are storing high value items (read: saddle)
- ETA: the separate locks are actually a nice feature some of the time in that I can provide someone with access to certain items and not others if I never needed to (i.e. leaving access to medical supplies but not tack or vice versa)
Cons: The only things that I would change about this are:
- Does not come with the telescopic saddle rack (I purchased one for myself a couple weeks ago)
- The shelves are not very adjustable (as in there are only 2 options for heights in the taller locker)
- In this model the bridle hooks are not high enough to hang bridles in a figure 8 pattern inside the door without looping the reins twice – if you have the space and only want one locker you should check out the 81″ saddle locker that is the same size as my 2 lockers combined to resolve this issue
- The locks for both pieces are not the same due to the pieces being manufactured separately in Germany – which as noted above can be seen as a benefit Bottom Line: I would buy this again in a heartbeat. If you have the money I see this as a long lasting investment. Not only does almost all of my necessary stuff find inside of it but it looks snazzy too! If any of you have questions about Saddle Lockers please let me know! I am not an expert but I have had mine for a while and do have a few contacts at the company now. 🙂
Great product with great customer service to boot – I even got a Christmas card from Saddle Lockers!
What do you all use for storage? Any better ideas for maximizing my space?